Lingotto Factory, Turin
The original Fiat factory in Lingotto, the acronym stands for Fabbrica Italiana di Automobili Torino, was designed by architect Giacomo Mattè-Trucco. Today the site is home to the Turin convention centre. The history of the building is smashing, it started life as the Fiat automotive factory and at the time of building, the factory was the largest of its kind in Europe utilising groundbreaking design and innovation to create a production line with the Agnelli family at the helm. Cars were produced at the site from 1923 until the mid-1980s. Today the factory has been reimagined by Renzo Piano as a convention centre, entertainment complex and hotel.
Its renowned rooftop test tracked was designed to be reached by two ramps positioned on the north and south side of the main building. It may seem familiar as it featured in the original ‘Italian Job’ film. Another feature of the rooftop is the globe added by Renzo Piano in 1994 it is designed to be used for business meetings and is reached by two internal lifts.
Banner Image Jean Pierre Dalbera CC BY SA 3.0