Mercy Hospital in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
In 1827 Catherine McAuley opened the first House of Mercy in Dublin using the proceeds of her inheritance. The society grew and in her lifetime more than 100 Sisters of Mercy were operating in ten foundations. They opened branches in other Irish cities and in London and Birmingham. After Catherine’s death in 1841 the order opened branches in the US, focusing on the midwest. The Mercy Hospital in Oklahoma is a direct descendant of Catherine’s original House of Mercy and is part of a family of Mercy International.
Construction 1972 – 1974
Architects Hudgins, Thompson and Ball
Inside the hospital are a series of striking brutalist artworks by Edgar Tafur
Images by Jeb Joseph
Find Jeb on Instagram www.instagram.com/OKbrutalist/ and www.instagram.com/jebjoseph/